Friday, January 30, 2009

Flashback Friday

In Honor of my Papa's birthday (which was yesterday) I thought I would post these for Flashback Friday...



This is me with my grandpa apparently sharing a marshmellow or something.


Watching baseball with Papa.


(Not sure when it was taken but it is a favorite)


At my babyshower for Kira - papa sat down to hang with Mikey and Mikey talked and cooed at him about 20 minutes (at least!)

My Papa is one of my favorite people. He is so quiet and unassuming but if you sit down with him for just a while he will entertain you for hours. He's now into his
80s and is in great shape, works on the yard, takes care of the house still and takes care of my Grandma too who has not been in the best of health this past year.
There are many stories (or anecdotes) about my Papa that always makes me smile I'll share a few:
- I lived with them for almos 10 years before Jacob and I got married and every morning, without fail he would check mine and my grandma's car before we left for work. Would hose it down if it was frosty, would check the tires once a week. When I had my vw golf he would top of the oil every morning....I took so much of it for granted and didn't realize all the work it took until I moved out and had to do it myself.

- When I first brought Jacob home to meet my grandparents, it was around Christmas time. I brought him home after church, it was evening so my grandpa was at his table listening to old music and playing solitare. Instead of coming to hang out with me, Jacob sat at talked to my grandpa for hours... they even discovered they knew a mutual acqauntance! (I love his about Jacob, and I guess this is a story about him as much as it is about my Papa but if you knew how quiet he (my papa) is it is an amazing feat and my Papa has loved Jacob ever since and even let Jacob fix a peeling Paint job on his most beloved truck)

- My Papa gives the best hugs ever!

- The best place to sit at a family party is next to my grandmpa (which is where Jacob and I usually end up) he is hilarious but you have to listen for the jokes...

- My Papa, and most of the other men in my family love their familes so much sometimes they don't know how to show it and so we end up with the bear hugs and a "You too" or an "OK" when you tell them you love them... but they will drop their whole lives for you if you say that you need help.

- Happy Birthday Papa - We love you and wish you a year full of love and laughter!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

can i say AHHH... Your Papa is awesome... I remember when he took us to the airport in the truck... That was fun...

Jo said...

he was very quiet when i stayed with you that time.
happy birthday to him though!