Monday, April 19, 2010

Kira's First Dance Class

So a couple of months ago, I thought it was time to get Kira enrolled in something. There were a lot of reasons for this, one of which was just to get us out of the house. We do the library reading hour most Mondays but she and I both needed something else. I FINALLY found my way to the nearest Community Center (Clark County is HORRIBLE at this) and grabbed the paper with all the stuff on it. I woke up early on the Saturday I needed to register her and spent about 45 minutes trying to figure out their stupid website (Again.. stupid Clark County!) but finally got her enrolled in the Baby Combo Class on Thursdays from 11:30 to 12:30. It's only a 6 week class but if she likes it and does well enough we'll renew it every 6 weeks.
Auntie M sent Kira some brand new tap shoes which Kira LOVES and walked around and around in them for days in the kitchen to hear them go tap tap tap. I found some little ballet shoes at Target and off we went this past Thursday to her first dance class.
I was really debating about buying her a leotard because let's face it, she's only 2, it's not likes it's professional class so I just procrastinated on it long enough to not get one. As we were walking in I realized my fear was realized. ALL of the girls walking in with their parents had little pink leotards on, with little pink tight and their little pink ballet shoes (I got Kira black because that's all there was in her size... she has BIG feet). Oh well, Kira looked super cute anyway and was excited to see "friends' there to play with. Not having a leotard didn't bother her at all!. Turns out that I had a leotard and tutu at home we are going to use next week... I totally forgot she had it.



Once we figured out where we needed to be all the kids ran around until the instructor showed up. That's when Kira freaked out a little. I sat down in their little circle with her because she wasn't letting go of me and she eventually got off my lap and moved closer to the teacher (I'm sure the HUGE bucket of candy didn't hurt either).
Then it came time for the dancing. The kids weren't to sure what to do at first but soon got the hang of it. Every once in a while Kira would come in and check in with me. I kept telling her she was doing a great job and sent her back out to dance.
She had a great time and is looking forward to next weeks' lesson. I'll try to get more pictures as the lessons progress.

Following her Teacher


Here she is practicing her splits.
'Til next time!

3 comments:

Chiemi said...

Oh she is too cute! I have only enrolled my kids in art and swimming lessons. Dance lessons look so fun!

The Reinerts said...

I don't think she will need therapy! She looks pretty happy out there. Kids here age are egocentric by nature so she probably only knew that she was wearing clothes.

Jo said...

bless, she looks so adorable. glad she enjoyed it