Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Life is Fragile


As i was sitting down last Sunday night to a little Larkrise to Candleford, season 2, I got a call on my cell. It was 10:45pm and I thought, "who could this be" and my dear friend Korie's name popped up on the screen. I wondered why she was calling me so late, especially because she would have just gotten home from her week long vacation in Washington D.C. but I was glad to hear from her anyway.
It turned out that it was her husband. Who called to tell me that she had collapsed at the airport here in Vegas while on a layover. To make a long story short Korie had to have a triple by-pass surgery this past Monday. She is recovering well and is expected to be back to her ole' self soon.

I am so grateful that everything worked out and that I get to keep one of my best friends for a while. However, it got me thinking how much we take for granted every single day. What happened to Korie was obviously unexpected and happened at what was probably *almost* the worse time possible... on vacation... out of town. What it really has shown me is that I need to do better. My last post was about sacrificing for the things I want, and then I went back to drinking Mt. Dew... (I have been pretty good about walking still) and then Korie went and had a heart attack in one of the busiest airports in the west.

It solidified to me that we really need to take advantage of every single day and every single minute we have. All I could think Monday, while she was intubated and sedated was that I really didn't want to lose her. She is one of my oldest friends, I was a bridesmaid at her wedding, she helped me with mine. She loves my daughter like a niece, my Kira loves her like an aunt. She is part of my life and I don't know what I would have done losing my grandma and one of my best friends in less than 1 year. I also thought - man - how could this happen to someone so young? What would happen if this happened to me or Jacob? What would I have done? I don't know the answers to those questions but what I have learned is that we have to take advantage of little kisses on your cheek, the smiles of our children, holding hands with the man that you love.
You may not have tomorrow to do it.

It may seem like this is a little contrary to my last post but it's not. I'm willing to sacrifice and give effort to the things that are important to me. One of which is getting healthy again. Because if I do, then I am not guaranteed to have another day but at least I would have a better chance at having another day to cuddle with my Boppa or share a laugh with the man that I love and who adores me despite my flaws.

Korie will get better and I will too. I am writing this so you can start thinking about what's really REALLY important. How are we choosing to spend our time? What could we be doing with our time? My sister is great with her time, I am not. SO I'm going to try to be more like my sister, I'm going to try to me more like my aunt, my mom, my *other* mom. I'm going to try to be more like who I know I can be. The person our Heavenly Father knows I can be. Sometimes I will fail, sometimes I will waste a day or an hour here or there but as long as I strive to be better then eventually it will happen. To quote the lady of the week, "When you know better, you do better" (Oprah, who might have gotten it from someone else) I know better.... now I need to do better. I won't do it on my own, I will need help, a patience from myself, from Jacob, from Kira, from my other family members, from my friends and from my Heavenly Father... but I will get there.

- so, if you are still reading this ramble, I thank you and hope that I have made you start thinking about the things that are really important in your life and focus on those things so that if any day were your last day, it wouldn't be a wasteful one. -


5 comments:

Cindy Thomas Munksgard said...

i'm so sorry to hear about korie. i hope she continues to recover. thanks for the reminder for us to not take the people around us for granted.

Cherish said...

Holy crap, what a scary thing to happen to your best friend, especially at such a young age. I remember seeing a FB post but didn't know the details.

Andrea said...

It's sad that it takes things like these for all of us to really realize what we need to be doing. I'm glad the outlook for Korie is good, she's been in my thoughts and prayers.

Unknown said...

It is sad that it's this kinda stuff that makes us revaluate our lives.... BUT she is doing well so I like to think of it as lesson learned early? I dunno

Jo said...

hugs to korie. and you too xx