Friday, April 22, 2011

Thankful Thursday (a day late)


It maybe a day late but it's a two-fer so hopefully that makes up for. It may sound odd but I am really thankful to be living in Las Vegas. It's not secret that I have had my share of trials here (my ward for one) and there will ALWAYS be some things I miss about Cali (family) but Vegas has been really good for us.

*it's close to Cali and closer to Utah so we can see family more often
*it's close to Cali and closer to Utah so people come and visit us either on the way there or home
*cost of living is cheaper (except for car insurance - dang foreigners)
*good weather most of the year (summers do get hot but anything over 100 feels pretty much the same)
*there is alway something to do and everything is relatively close (i realized the other day that I sounded just like a native when I said blah blah blah was ALL the way on the OTHER side of town - in Cali terms it's NOTHING)
*Despite the general problems with my ward I have met some great people
*Kira is growing up here and those memories are inextricability connected with Vegas and so it will always have a soft spot in my heart

People can say what they want about Vegas being dirty, "gross", sin city. I will venture to say that most big cities have these elements in them somewhere, Vegas is just more open about it. And as we look for a new place to live I am reminded that Home is where you make it and finally after 3 years here I can say, Vegas is home to us!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hear ya, we always say once it's over 100, it doesn't really make a difference how much over 100 it is, all feels the same. Damn hot!